At Starbucks yesterday, someone one asked me, “What do you do?”
In the last week at work I have:
- Written Python code for our testing framework, pairing with another engineer and using Test-Driven Development.
- Coached one of my fellow team members on how to offer effective feedback to a third team member.
- Met with all three of my direct reports to make sure they’re getting the support the need to do their jobs.
- Facilitated my Scrum team’s retrospective, helping to distill specific actions to help us collaborate better.
- Worked with our Director of Engineering and a new engineer to rough out a plan for supporting a new set of tools on a product line I haven’t touched for two years.
- Got buy-in from one of our Program Managers that some of the corrective actions the team decided on were appropriate and that he didn’t need to intervene.
- Drafted a test plan for our upcoming release to help justify pulling additional people onto the project to fill out under-represented skill sets.
- Mediated between several sets of people who normally don’t get along well, resulting in a working agreement and a phone call that all sides described as productive.
If anyone knows what job title clearly communicates all that, let me know.
Sun, Moon, and Stars: 261 words, 335 seven-day average, 261 average, 29484 total, 516 to go for the week