My “weekly” check-in of where I’m at.
Body and Mind
I’m getting back on track with running again, because regular exercise clearly is a keystone habit for me. So many more things go right when I’m active. I’ve realized that what I need to do is slowly ramp up to 4-5 runs and 12-15 miles a week, and then just leave it there for a few months, so as to build good habits. As much as I want to have run a marathon, I can’t rush into it. My cardio and endurance aren’t the issues; those come on-line pretty quickly. What I need to do is build my muscles, ligiments, and tendons and improve their resilience and resistance to injury.
Friends and Family
I’ve been a little asocial this week, although this weekend ought to help with that. We’re also in the planning stages of the Grand Parental Visitations for this holiday season.
Knitting, improv, LARPing, and the SCA are my creative outlets right now. They’re all going pretty well. I’ve been teaching some improv as well as performing, and that’s always useful for seeing how far I’ve come as well what I need to work on next.
I’ve been soaking up a ton of articles, videos, slides, etc., in the last week or so. Here are what I think are the most interesting pieces.
Videos I’ve watched:
- Teaching Smart People How To Learn
- Innovators, Are You Applying the Wrong Lessons From Manufacturing?
- Ten Reasons People Resist Change
- Understanding Fear of Process Improvement
- Stop Using Story Points
- Why I Hired A Girl on Craigslist to Slap Me in the Face — And How It Quadrupled My Productivity
- Scott Berkun’s Slides from FailCon 2012
- Henrik Kniberg’s Slides on Agile @ Home
- Obama and the Policy Approach
- Probabilistic Illiteracy
- Post-Election Notes for the GOP (Not That They’ve Asked For Them)
- Hark, A Vagrant’s Halloween Quiz and 1066 Quiz
- Liz Hickok, Jello Scupltor
- Canadian Sorry
- Sh*t Improv Trainers Say
- Uncovering the Secrets of Barley
This Week’s Soundtrack:
- All The Roadrunning, Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris
- Real Live Roadrunning, Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris
In addition to all that reading above, I’ve been working through Agile Testing with a couple of people at work. We’re getting down to the wire with our project at work, and I’m looking forward to seeing how we’re going to work differently on the next one.
Tomorrow is the first SCA event Gwen and I will be attending. She’s ensured that we’ll look awesome. Sunday is the last Houses of the Blooded game for the year, which should be all kinds of fun.